Thursday, February 26, 2009

LOST Season 5, "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" : A look at John Locke *Spoilers*

"The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" is in my opinion, one of the most important episodes in LOST to date. This episode is all that I had hoped it to be, full of action and answered questions. We get the whole story from when John turned the wheel to his returning to the Island. 

We get a great opening showing the new "Losties" going through the Hydra Station, when news comes they have found a man standing in some water, dressed in a suit. Come to find out this is none other than John Locke. When asked out about why no one saw him on the plane, he is very open with the fact that he remembers dying. He is not the scared John Locke from season 1. 

Speaking of Season 1, has anyone noticed the extreme parallels that the last few episodes have had with it? Last episode when the Oceanic 6 returned to the Island, it was eerily similar, and now with the Ajira 316 crash. The main question I have now, is why did the Oceanic 6 return to the past, and the Ajira "Losties" and Locke and Lapidus land in "Normal Time". I have faith that all will be explained. I will say that the moment I look forward to most is the reuniting of Jack and John. I expect this scene to be nothing less than spectacular. 

One of the most important parts in this episode and one of my favorites is when John went and visited Walt. Walt mentions dreaming of Locke on the island wearing a suit, very similar to how this episode began. We all know Walt is special, but does he have a greater role to play than he is currently. Will we see a return of Walt to the island?

We got more mind games on the Linus vs. Widmore front. I doubt we will find out the truth about who is right in this matter for a very long time. Let me just say that the point at the end of the show after Ben talks Locke out of killing himself gave me a small hope that Ben is finally becoming the character I have hoped he is all along. And then he kills Locke. I still hope that it is for the greater good, and Ben looked legitimately upset after doing it. I doubt he had any knowledge that John would return to life.

And on that note, why did John come back to life? Apparently he is special after all. I have been under the impression most of the show that Locke was just a small fish in a big pond, a pawn in a greater game between Widmore and Ben; But now I see that Locke is not a pawn, and the game is not just between Widmore and Ben. Locke is a third player in the game of power, the alternative to both the evils that Widmore and Ben are. 

There is still much to happen in the last season and a half or so of LOST, and if it keeps at this pace the end will not disappoint. LOST is only getting better. I'd love to talk LOST with any of you so please comment, or get ahold of me on Twitter (@Sean_Winnett). Thanks for reading! Until next week.

Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment